Having trouble using custom Visual Styles (Themes) with Vista SP1?
Here is how to fix it manually.
Note: you may need to do this to use some of the Vista themes on this site even with windows vista.
First let me say though that the simpelist way is to use TuneUp utilities, no file hacking required. It costs $50. If you would prefer to hack some files and do it for free here you go:
Disclaimer: We cannot be held responsible for any damage or loss associated with files that you change or alter on your pc. Proceed at your own risk.
Note: These files are for Vista SPI only. If you haven’t installed the SP1 yet then STOP now.
Download and replace these three system files (uxtheme.dll, shsvcs.dll and themeui.dll).
Uxtheme Vista SP1 (32-bit) Link
Uxtheme Vista SP1 (64-bit) Link
1. Login as a user with Administrative privileges -or- have Administrative credentials ready (check under the keyboard for a slip of paper).
2. Navigate to %systemroot%\System32
3. Right-click uxtheme.dll and click properties.
4. Take ownership of the file and close dialogs.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for themeui.dll and shsvcs.dll
6. Right-click uxtheme.dll and click properties.
7. Give yourself (or group) Full Control permissions and close dialogs.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 for themeui.dll and shsvcs.dll.
9. Rename uxtheme.dll to uxtheme.old.
10. Rename themeui.dll to themeui.old.
11. Rename shsvcs.dll to shsvcs.old.
12. Copy patched files into %systemroot%\System32
13. Reboot (yes, this is really required)
You can use Take Control or these registry files for taking ownership of system files in Vista. Link
Credit goes to Butch123 for this great info. Cord blood banking cost
How to Change Icons in Windows Vista
One way to change the standard Windows desktop icons (like the Recycle Bin) is by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting Personalize from the menu. On the left side of the next window, choose “Change desktop icons” and select the icon you want to change. Click on the Change Icon button to open a window to select a new icon from the offerings, or browse to a file or folder of icons you may have downloaded from the Web already.
You can change a folder’s icon by right-clicking on it and selecting Properties from the resulting menu. Click on the Customize tab in the Properties box and then click on the Change Icon button at the bottom of the box. If you don’t want to use one of the standard Windows icon options, click the Browse button to hunt around your hard drive for the icon you want and click the Open button to select it. Click on the O.K. button to complete the process.
From NYtimes Here
Looking for our WordPress themes?
We do custom designed wordpress themes and give those away too. We thought that since this was a theme site, that giving away our own wordpress themes would be a good fit.
Our WordPress Themes
If you not familiar with wordpress it is a website/cms/blog software. This website is running wordpress. You can read more about it here:
We are currently working on a Themes for Windows 7 site. It is still alpha and a major work in progress. However it should be up and running by end of Dec 2009. Have a look at our work in progress if you like – Themes for Windows 7